Friday 8 June 2007

ASP.NET Ajax vs Silverlight

Not quite 'Alien vs Predator', but an interesting experiment nevertheless.

I stumbled across this post using the ASP.NET Ajax AnimationExtender to move points around and immediately recognised the similarities to the Silverlight 'race simulator' demos I've been playing with.

It seemed a natural progression to try animating same North Head (Sydney) race runner data using ASP.NET AJAX to animate the runner markers. A quick massage of the Silverlight XAML (using Excel!) and I had a couple of JSON arrays ready to go.

The result, as you can see, is not quite as smooth as Silverlight - and I suspect that Ajax would have even more trouble than Silverlight with 400 elements to animate!

You can View Source of the AJAX page - it's all there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Craig,
    I took at look at the racing example and it looks COOL!!!.
    In my example I use JSON elements in an array to hold points in the path, for small samples , this is cool.
    For huge number of points, you might consider going with a two-dimensional array of points , or 2 single dimensional arrays ,to remove the cost of 'eval'ing points in the array .
    but , all said , the app looks pretty cool.
    Great job !!

    Thanks,
    Phani Raj

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.